NEW SUMMIT SAFETY PROCEDURES
Those attending in person will find numerous new safety protocols, based on the latest recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the city of Houston and — NAPE’s longtime host — the George R. Brown Convention Center.
- Modified expo floor plan: The 2021 NAPE trade show floor will provide 10 feet of separation between each exhibitor
- Expanded event registration: Two separate registrations areas — one for exhibitors and one for attendees — will create a faster registration process requiring less time in lines. In addition, registration counters will be equipped with plexiglass barriers, and social distancing will be enforced in lines.
- Social distancing protocols: NAPE Summit will adhere to 6-foot social distancing requirements in all aspects of the event. All queuing will allow for 6 feet of physical distancing, and food and beverage event seating will be set up to accommodate at least 6-foot distancing.
- PPE requirements: Face coverings will be mandatory for all events. NAPE will provide face masks for attendees, exhibitors, staff, contractors and anyone who requests one during the expo. Surgical gloves and personal sanitation products also will be included in attendee registration bags.
- Safety signage/announcements: New signage will provide reminders regarding masks, health checks, social distancing, hand-washing and other safety measures.
- Temperature screenings: Medical service providers will screen all attendees and event staff entering the GRB. (A Hot Zone area will be established for those with temperatures of 100.4 or higher.)
- Screening questions: All attendees, staff and contractors must answer “no” to the following questions to be allowed entry into the GRB:
- Within the last 14 days, have you experienced a new cough that you cannot attribute to another health condition?
- Within the last 14 days, have you experienced new shortness of breath that you cannot attribute to another health condition?
- Within the last 14 days, have you experienced a new sore throat that you cannot attribute to another health condition?
- Within the last 14 days, have you experienced new muscle aches that you cannot attribute to another health condition or a specific activity such as physical exercise?
- Within the last 14 days, have you had a temperature at or above 100.4° or the sense of having a fever?
- Within the last 14 days, have you had close contact, without the use of appropriate PPE, with someone who is currently sick with suspected or confirmed COVID-19?
While rolling out the red carpet for NAPE-goers, the George R. Brown Convention Center will be adhering to numerous new safety measures implemented since the coronavirus pandemic began. Following are some of the highlights:
- More than 55 permanent hand sanitizing stations have been installed throughout the facility.
- Elevators, which are restricted to no more than two people at a time, prioritize ADA accessibility. All others are asked to use the escalators.
- A GRB staff member will enforce social distancing in elevators and on escalators as well as frequently sanitize buttons and handrails.
- Exhibit hall aisles are now 6 feet wide.
- Theater seating has 6-foot aisles between chairs.
- Banquet seating is now four chairs per table.
- The number of attendees entering the exhibit halls are limited to align with the GRB recommendation of one attendee per 36 square feet of event net square footage.
- Meeting rooms are cleaned with an electrostatic spray disinfection system at the end of each day.
- In addition, the GRB has installed three mobile coronavirus-killing air purifiers developed by Integrated Viral Protection (ivpair.com).
Houston’s hospitality, sports, entertainment and transportation industries have taken the following pledge: “We pledge to maintain the highest standards of public safety and health across our city, both for our community and all of our visiting guests. We pledge to research, curate and implement the most medically effective sanitation and social distancing measures available for the health of our patrons. Finally, we pledge to present clear, consistent and timely operating guidelines and procedures in a way that promotes efficient communication.”
For more information on Houston safety precautions, visit grbhouston.com/covid-19 and houstonclean.com.